Down the Drain

 



Photo: The smiling face of a city drain once cleared of debris. Saskatoon Sept. 2026

I set out in the pouring rain determined to clear a city storm drain that was flooding the street behind our place. Fortunately, water didn't overflow my boot tops and I was able to locate the drain with my rake. When the water started to rapidly swirl and move down the drain, it gave me an immense feeling of  satisfaction. Such a simple thing... a letting go. Perhaps like a sudden clearing away of debris that collects in our minds.

We can carry thoughts, worries, old stories, expectations and little things without realizing how much space and time they consume. We might not be able to control all the twigs and leaves that enter our mind until the resistance -- a jumble of thoughts and emotions seem to have nowhere to go. But, we can choose what we continue to hold onto. Once the congestion gives way, everything begins to flow. The heaviness lifts, the water clears and there is room to breathe again. Underneath it all, a little more space, clarity and peace. 

Gee, I'm rather zen in my analogy. I guess that's what happens when you save the city from a flood! Heehee

 

Photos by me and Rich Miller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixer Upper

Letting Go

Purge-atory